Thursday, January 6, 2011

Why we're BFF's

First off, I hate the use of "text-ese", but the acronym BFF seems to fit Misty. Out of the 2 of us, she's definitely the cooler one.

Here's the story of how we met:

I started work at a new job actually using some of my degree. I was hired to do desktop publishing for a company called POS (no kidding). Me, being me, the first day I showed up all dolled up and wearing heals. Those of you who know me know I don't wear heals (and at that time I didn't wear makeup much either). If I remember right, Misty's first impression was that I was a priss and she was sure we would never get along. Little did she know how wrong she was.
I'm not quite sure how long it took for us to be friends, but I was only there a year and we were in an office of only 6 people, so it must've happened fairly quickly.

I ended up quitting to stay at home with Jenna and the job really wasn't for me.
We kept in touch and texted a lot. I still think we text much more than we ever talk or get together. Somewhere along the line, she became my BFF. She's funny, makes me laugh, and gets my strange sense of humor. Together we get along great and even though she tends to get us lost when we go places (backroads of Idaho in the middle of winter, in the dark, and the heat was out in my car), we still laugh and find the humor in the most mundane things.

One thing we have in common is we both like our egos to be stroked and for that reason, we're doing a contest. The prize is a $20 gift code to Scrapbook.com. To enter, become a follower of the blog. To get an extra entry, post a story about your BFF. Then to get a 3rd entry, get your BFF to follow our blog and let us know. So, total of 3 entries possible. We'll run this until January 31 at midnight and then draw a winner. You have 1 week to claim your prize after it's announced or we'll draw someone new.

5 comments:

  1. I moved around a lot as a kid (Dad's in the military) so I have a few BFFs. I lost contact with most of 'em as we got older. I am in contact with 4 of them now thru facebook.
    One of the ones I am closest with but farthest apart from is Marie. We met when we lived in the same houseing area in Germany. I can't remember too much about the details of how our friendship came to be, but we are like sisters. I lost track of her several years ago, but was blessed again when she tracked me down on facebook.
    Someday I hope to get to travel to SC where she lives now, and really get caught up. I have 2 boys and she has 3 girls, and it would be awesome to meet each others kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Mindy, I'm a military brat. I grew up all over the U.S.A and in Germany. I had a BFF when I was 12 until I left Germany when I was 14. We lost contact and I have tried to find her forever. Just last year I found her again (almost 30 years later). I found her through a German site that is kind of like facebook. We send messages back and forth and have been getting to know each other again. It's been great finding out how each others lives have progressed. My BFF here is Crystal. I have known her for 12 years. She applied to work at the daycare I was working at. I was the assistant director at the time. The director and I were discussing staff members and how they were doing in their area. I told her that I really didn't like Crystal but that she was doing a good job. As it turned out she thought the same thing about me as I did about her. We each thought that the other was a "B" and full of it...We were right,lol. We ended up being the best of friends and I am the godmother of her daughter. We don't talk very often because we can never find time between school, work and her daughter has 100's of activities. When we do find the time it's like we just talked yesterday. She is one of those friends who you can talk to like you never missed a day, even if you haven't talked in months. I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fun! My BFF and I met in school. She shared my bedroom for a term when her parents moved abroad, and we fought like cat and dog. The following term we were back to being BFFs again and we've always kept in touch. She was my bridesmaid.

    I hope you don't mind, but I told her about this blog and she loved it so much that we've started one of our own. We're not committing to a daily photo though, just weekly or when we get time. So thank you, thank you for this!

    Right, off to get her now....
    Rosey x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the course of my life, I've had lots of BFFs for different aspects/times - a grade school BFF, scouts BFF, middle school BFF, church BFF, studying BFF, partying BFF, crafting BFF, Mama BFF, related BFF, cheerleading BFF, college BFF, work BFF, etc. I've found that I've needed different BFFs because not one person could wear all of the hats... :)

    That was until I re-met dh. Okay, well sometimes he feigns excitement over my latest scrap page or rolls his eyes as I relay the same "bad student" or "crazy parent" story but he's truly my BFF. He knows more about me than anyone, we have history together - growing up together. He's always there for me, even when I act like a psycho. :)

    ReplyDelete